Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sanding

No Photos....not much to look at, just sanding.

I have been sanding the deck of the boat to get everything smooth and level.  The white gap caulking turned out pretty well and I am happy with it but there are some high and low spots that I am dealing with.  I am also having some issues with removing some of the blue tape that was not removed in time and is now epoxied down at the seams between the wood and white caulk (only in a few spots).

I am sanding with 180 grit using an orbital sander but I am hand sanding all the edges because I don't want to get into the stained wood.  Yesterday, alone......I sanded for more than 5 hours.

This will be a process...sand then epoxy...sand and more epoxy...then level the white gaps and sand again.  Once I get everything smooth and level then I will begin with the varnish.  I am told that I will need 4-6 coats of varnish with sanding between each coat.  I should have bought some stock in sand paper and blue tape.

Later this week or early next week I should have my steering mount system that my brother Marty welded up for me back from powder coating and the seats should be ready for pick up from the upholster.  I will post an article and photos when they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment