Friday, April 15, 2011

Dye the Wood

After many hours of sanding the deck surface down to 220 grit, I was ready to dye the cover boards and king plank.  I used a Vintage Cherry wood dye from General Finishes and was very pleased with the results.  I believe the darker wood color will give a good contrast between the mahogany planks.





The above photos show the before and after the staining of the mahogany.

Something that I learned was not to remove the Blue Tape to fast and with the grain of the wood.  I surprised to see how aggressive the tape was.  It pulled the grain of the wood up.  Look at the photo.  I was able to repair this by sanding but I was surprised that it happened.  I solved the problem by taking my time, going slow and pulling up the tape against the grain of the wood.




I also stained the interior trim.  The floor boards that can be seen were made from Ash wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment