Monday, February 14, 2011

Making the Sub-Deck



I was able to get a lot done on the project this Saturday with the help of my brothers Joey and Gary.  They are always there when I need them.  Most of the winter I had been working alone on the boat and did not need their assistance but now it was time to start handling large sheets of 1/4 " marine plywood.  Sometimes when you have more people working on a project it does not mean that you will get things accomplished twice as fast but this time we were really able to make good use of everyone.  Yes, I could have done this part of the project by myself but it would most likely taken me several days and not near as much fun.

The large square wood blocks where used as a washers to support the screws so they would not pull through the plywood under stress.

On Sunday, I took everything apart and flipped the decking over.  Everything received a coat of epoxy.

There is still a lot of work that will need to be done with the sub deck.  All the seams will need to be glued and clamped with epoxy.  The screw holes will all need to be drilled and countersunk to the correct size.  This will take time because I want to be sure that I have as much done in the cockpit area as I can before covering the deck.  It will be much easier to do it while the deck is open than to crawl under there later.  I will also need to do a little bit of fairing in one or two spots where the sub deck did not lay down as nice as I expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment