Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Update on Sanding Paint

Yes, I am working on the boat. I have not made a post here in a while because there is not much to report. Click on the Blog Archive months in the right hand column if you wish to see photos and discriptions of my progress with this build.

Here is the status. I have applied 2 coats of primer and 5 coats of color to the bottom of the boat. Each time I have been sanding between coats. One of the main reasons it is taking such a long time is that you need to wait at least 48 hours to sand but you really need to wait at least a week for the paint to fully harden. I am at that stage now, where I am waiting a couple of weeks because I would like to try to buff and polish the paint. Each time I apply a coat of color I have orange peel and not all the bubbles in the paint want to flow out smooth. This requires sanding and sanding and more sanding. The plan is to do a final sanding to 1200 grit and then buff it out. My polishing supplies have been ordered and I will be really ready to move on. I will post again next week and I am hoping for some good results.

No comments:

Post a Comment